5.22.2006

The Coast

So Sunday we headed over to The Coast to go to the beach and be in the water and let Sippy play in the sand. But, the drive once we got to 90 was just shocking as it always is to see the damage from Katrina up front. To see all those homes just gone and the churches just destroyed, it breaks your heart all over again (as does having to drive through New Orleans east to get there which looks like the Apocalypse has occurred).

The other thing that struck me the most on the beach in Gulfport was the amount of Spanish being spoken on the beach. I had to check myself and make sure I was still in Mississippi. And it is not that it is a bad thing, it is just that it is striking to be on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and hear and see so many Spanish speakers.

But seeing the lack of a beach front community just kills you and makes me even more eager to get to work on On Water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home