12.23.2006

A thought on this time of year

This is not a time of year for families to gather. Non, no real good can come of that. Instead now until shortly after the new year should be spent with like minded individuals commiserating and doing the drinkie-drinkie. God knows I need that kind of time. The heavy, serious time of being with people like myself and pulling our best Nic Cage while we talk about the year past and the year coming up and what the fuck is wrong in the universe and what the hell we need to do in the next space of time to make our lives better. All surrounded by lots of drinkie-drinkie and thinking of the ones gone and on to the next place and time.

This thoughtline does a lot for me to explain what the fuck happened to me in ATL. Jeesus I was on a drunk last Friday. I don't think anything was set in front of me that I didn't drink. It wasn't anything I set out for, and yes I felt much regret about it the next day (the hangover wasn't regret, but rather god's sick little fucking joke he likes to play on me); but the more I think about it, the more I realize I needed it and probably a lot more.

So why spend this time of year with the forced happiness? Sure the presents and the food are very nice. But end of the year always brings up plenty of backwards glances and whatthefucks and gloominess and what if the next year turns out to be as shitty or worse than this year. Rather than force families to endure wild mood swings, we should gather with those who know us best and will allow us to properly get over the year that was and brace ourselves for the year to come (and the proper way is of course by doing the heavy drinking with lots of bourbon involved and continually listening to Fairytale of New York over and over again).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home