6.13.2009

Kill Bill - Budd's Wisdom



The estranged brothers continue their conversation. Budd sits
in the doorway of his trailer, bottle of jack in his hand.
Bill stands.

BUDD
You tryin to tell me she cut her
way through eighty-eight bodyguards
'fore she got to O-Ren?

BILL
No. There wasn't really eighty
eight of them, they just called
themselves The Crazy 88.

BUDD
Why.

BILL

I dunno, I guess they thought it
sounded cool. Anyhow, she had about
26 or 27 around her when (BLEEP)
attacked. They all fell under her
Hanzo sword.

The mention of a Hattori Hanzo sword gets Budd's attention.

BUDD
She got 'er a Hattori Hanzo sword?

Bill nods his head, "yes."

BILL
She has a Hanzo Jingi sword.

BUDD
He made her one? Didn't he swear a
blood oath never to make another
sword?

BILL
It would appear he's broken it.

Budd doesn't say anything at first...THEN;

BUDD
Them Japs know how to carry a
grudge don't they? Or is it just
you tend to bring that out in
people?

BILL
(pause)
I know this is a ridiculous
question before I ask, but you by
any chance haven't kept up with
your swordplay?

BUDD
Hell, I pawned that years ago.

BILL
You pawned a Hattori Hanzo sword?

BUDD
Yep.

The disrespect is pain.

BILL
It was priceless.

BUDD
Not in El Paso it ain't. In El Pso
I got me 250 Dollars for it.

BILL
Since it was a gift from me, why
didn't you offer me the chance to
buy it back?

BUDD
Because that would've required me
to acknowledge your existence.
Drunken bum though I may be, I
don't need booze that bad. But who
the hell gives a crap anyway. That
bitch ain't gittin no Bushido
points for killin a white trash
piece of shit like me with a
samurai sword. I'm a bouncer in a
titty bar, Bill. If she wants to
fight me, all she gotta do is come
down to the Club, start some shit,
and we'll be in a a fight.

BILL
-- Budd, you need to listen to me.
I know we haven't spoken for quite
some time, and the last time we
spoke wasn't the most pleasant. But
you need to get over being mad at
me, and start becoming afraid of
Bea. Because she is coming, and
she's coming to kill you. And
unless you accept my assistance, I
have no doubt she will succeed.

Budd sees Bill's true concern for his welfare.

Bill tries to charm his brother.

BILL
Can't we forget the past, and look
at the happy side of all this?

Budd chuckles.

BUDD
And what would that happy side be?

BILL
She's brought "the boys" back
together.

Budd is touched by Bill's concern and chuckles to himself.

BUDD
I appreciate the concern on your
face, but there's a difference
'tween "the boys", time can't
erase. I don't dodge guilt. And I
don't Jew outta payin my
comeuppance. That woman deserves
her revenge. And we deserve to die.
But then again, so does she. So I
guess we'll just see now, won't we.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Smith said...

This really is an excellent movie. When I first heard of it, I didn't expect much. But its now one of my favorite movies.

--
Hattori Hanzo Sword

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home