4.30.2013

Film Tax Credits Article Response

Response to a comment on the Nola.com article on the film tax credits:

"I am tired of this lie that the film and tv industry here doesn't create jobs except for a few people. That is a complete lie. There are thousands of us employed by the film and tv industry here, and it extends to not just those of us who are working on the projects but also to vendors. 
 
And if you think the money isn't spread around, go and look at the development of the Elmwood/Harahan area. There is a boom down there and a lot of it has been in tandem with many productions having offices there as well as vendors setting up shop there. 
 
The money gets spread around in other ways. I get to live here in the city I love and am from. I get to spend my money here. I have risen up through the ranks making more money as I go along. Also, people are moving to Louisiana and New Orleans to work in the film and tv industry. Not people coming in for one show, but a lot of young people moving here instead of L.A. or New York. This is a very good thing. 
 
Finally, as far as working as an extra, that is how extras are treated everywhere. If you want to move up as an actor you have to try for roles in short films and low/no budget indies. Extra work is never going to lead to a starring role. Go listen to famous actors talking about being an extra."

I will have more on this today as I wake up and have more coherent thoughts.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home