1.04.2014

Movies in 2013: Thoughts On Some Of What I Watched

Best new movie I saw this year: Iron Man Three. I constantly go to it for dialogue. Also, the best hidden surprise of any film this year.

Smurfs 2 is probably the worst.

I was disappointed by Frozen and Man Of Steel. Both are messy films that can't make up their minds what they want to be.

I barely remember seeing Monsters University this year. I remember the short before the film better than the actual feature, which is indicative of where Pixar and Disney are at right now. Their shorts are great, their features not so much.

I enjoyed diving in to Ben Wheatley's films. I am interested to see how crazy Doctor Who let's him get. He could really bring a danger and fun to the series, if they let him.

Nice to finally see some of the Duplass Brothers films. I am not a fan of their style, but I appreciate what they have done. I also think they really do well bringing out the good and bad in sibling relationships.


Pacific Rim and the Godzilla films I watched this year were nice fun with my little boy.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was a nice solid espionage film. I will be going back to it. I also watched the BBC adaptation which is also great. I love the way things are said in both without being overly revealing.

Also exposed my little boy to some classic films from when I was a kid such as Jurassic Park, Goonies, and Princess Bride. Nice to see they can still have a fun influence on kids. The Lost Word: Jurassic Park is better and more fun than I remembered, but it doesn't seem like Spielberg directed it.

Thor: The Dark World proves Marvel is getting better with Phase 2 and they keep secrets better than anyone. I just wish they would bring some of that maturing to Agents of SHIELD.

1970's crime films still draw me in all the time. There is just something about crime films from that era that I love. I didn't see a bad one.

Becket and The Lion In Winter is the best double feature I watched all year. Pure greatness from the language to the excellent acting.

I didn't see as many films as I wanted to this year. I certainly didn't get to the theater this year as much as I wanted. My best time at a movie theater was taking the monkey to see Dr. No at the Prytania and introducing him to James Bond. I hope to get to the theater more this year. I also hope to see more films actually released this year.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home