6.02.2006

MI3: Good, but disappointing

Good, but disappointing i show I describe MI3. If this had been the first film in the franchise, I would think the series was off to a pretty good start with room for improvement. It is the first film of the bunch (since the opening of the first Mission Impossible film) to truly show a team at work rather than just Tom Cruise being the only stud of the block.

JJ Abrams reinforces through this film though why I have lost faith in him as a director and a writer. First off, he uses the same technique as he used all the time in Alias of starting the film at one point in time, then going back in time to show us how we arrived there. This worked as the regular thing on Alias. But, knowing who is behind this, it seems lazy to me when watching it happen in yet another spy vehicle.

Abrams also disappoints in the fact that there are a couple of blatant rip offs. One can't help but watch the attack on the bridge and not think of True Lies. And, the last line of dialogue in the film between Cruise and Laurence Fishburn is a rip off of the far superior film Ronin's last line of dialogue.

There are other quibbles I have with the film. One a boring car chase. Two, the tech guy in the film is basically directed by Abrams into acting just like Marshall from Alias.

I can see myself getting excited for the new Mission Impossible film since it will inevitably have a new director, but for the time being I am left with a kind of shrug-of-the-shoulders feeling to this current installment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home