9.29.2010

Pics From My Morning Walk

Walks and showers are where I get my best thinking and writing ideas from.

I am between gigs right now, and so trying to get in exercise since I have been slacking off while working on On the Road. Part of that is a walk every morning. Right now I walk from where I live to the end of West Esplanade and back.

These are just images and ideas which came to me on my walk.

All were taken this morning on my walk to the end of West Esplanade Ave in Kenner, LA on Wednesday, September 29, 2010.

I simply like how fragile everything looks here. The 21st Century and we are still counting on wires hanging precariously from poles to deliver our electricity and communications. I used to yell and get on my soapbox about how New Orleans should be more like Austin. Then my mother and others explained to me New Orleans is a very old city and there isn't much you can do to regress or totally change the area or any area. Anyway, guess every city has this look, but here in a Post-Katrina NOLA the lines seem so precarious:



Angie always points out the beauty of egrets in the canals compared to what they are standing in. This bird isn't beautiful by any means but it just kind of struck me and I wanted to take a picture of it. This canal is the closest one to where I live.:





This field has been empty for a long time. No idea why something hasn't been built or developed here. It is one of the hardest parts of my walk because the grass is so thick and I can feel the stress in my muscles and body and the increase in heart rate. It is good for me and some days I look forward to it. Today was not one of those days. It is taken care of, but I just wonder why it is empty:



The other day Angie and I were driving down Metairie Road and came across a bridge and Angie said it reminded her of Austin, TX. Except in Austin you are crossing streams, creeks, and rivers and there is lots of green space (even an area called the Green Belt). In the New Orleans Metro Area you are crossing canals filled with god knows what. And there is very little beautiful green space. So here is the "bridge" I cross on my walk and the view from it:







The end of West Esplanade. The beginning of West Esplanade. Nothing really there marking anything. Kind of a waste of space I think. Could do something interesting there and behind the trees:



The levee wall at the end of West Esplanade. Picture is cropped so close because there was a Levee Police truck to the right. That is what holds the water and god knows what else back:

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home